Lennart Poettering <mzerq...@0pointer.de> writes:

> On Di, 05.07.22 01:44, Fedora Development ML (devel@lists.fedoraproject.org)
> wrote:
>
>> Also, if users have "special" hardware, shouldn't they also have
>> security.
>
> if you need a special kernel cmdline to get your system to boot, then
> that's a bug in the kernel, and should be fixed there. Adding a kernel
> cmdline option is a local hack at best, executable only by the most
> technically savvy of users, and I think for those it's totally OK if
> you have to disable SecureBoot if you hack around.

I think this overestimates the complexity required here.  You follow the
on-screen instructions to press 'e', arrow key to the end of the line,
and type the parameters from the support forum or stackoverflow or
wherever.

> Kernels should work universally, and if the don't do that
> out-of-the-box on some very new or very exotic hardware, then the
> right fix is not to expect users to be technical enough to set a
> kernel cmdline, but to fix the kernel to apply the fix automatically
> where needed. The kernel has plenty infrastructure for that.

In an ideal world, perhaps.  But kernel parameters are also used for
things that have nothing to do with hardware, such as needing to drop to
a root shell on boot to fix problems in early userspace (e.g., clobbered
/etc/shadow).

Be well,
--Robbie