On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 07:24:28PM -0000, Sharpened Blade via devel wrote:
> > My expectation would be that by default we'd just use the GPT auto
> discovery stuff
>
> Existing Fedora installations do not follow the GPT auto discovery
> spec. Also, I think the existing system for the root device can still
> work, it is passed in the command line, not the initrd.

command line is only slightly better than being baked into the initrd
when it comes to using the TPM.  The command line gets measured, so when
each machine needs its individual root=UUID=<something> each machine has
a different PCR value ...

root=LABEL=<something> is slightly better because it's the same for all
machines, but labels are collected from all disks which are present on
the system whereas auto discovery looks only at the disk the system
booted from.

take care,
  Gerd