I finally got the LM32 compiled and synthesized for my altera board (by
hand not using MiSoC/MiGen)  but I couldn't get anything working (even a
simple gpio pin toggle). So, I simulated them both in Modelsim. I found
something weird on the memory contents of the Altera vs Xilinx.

The xilinx build uses a coe file converted from hex for the memory for
startup but altera quartus uses a hex file. When I simulated, I found the
memory contents inserting some weird strings of 0x0000000 in between
successive words in the altera simulation but not in the xilinx simulation.
I suspect this is happening in the hardware also and hence nothing is
happening with the gpio.

Do most on this list use Icarus verilog? I could try that but I am not sure
it allows you to view memory contents...any clues on why this could be
happening?

Salman

Xilinx Contents[image: Inline image 1]

Altera Contents[image: Inline image 2]