On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> ...how would you do it, in 150 words or less?
>
> Seriously, I have been working on this for over a year and I would love to
> hear some of the ideas that people have because I am completely stumped on
> how to make such a clipboard manager work properly.

I'd be completely lost describing it in 150 words just for X.

IIRC there are at least 3 clipboard/cut-buffer mechansims (no I can't
remember them all).
xprop -root lists 8 CUT_BUFFERX strings (and an atom called
_MOTIF_CLIP_FORMAT_ACROBAT_SELECTION)

There are about 5 (OK maybe only 3) ways of indicating a clipboard
string in a non ascii/latin1 encoding, some of which can't be used by
clients in different locales.

Throw in MS Windows, and I'd be unhappy unless you can preserve the
ability of X to mark in one window and paste in another, using only the
mouse.
I doubt I'd consider a windowing system without it, at least one
based on keyboard+mouse, or even a stylus.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna