You don't want to do that like this, it won't ask the user to correctly
save his work.
kde has a mechanism to do that on the WM level, I bet GNOME has as well.

Become the same user, set your DISPLAY var and do
    dcop kdesktop kdesktop logout
Or similar.

In the other case; do a
    ps auxf
this gives you a tree (forrest) view of the processes; just kill the top level
X and all children will follow.