Mark Vojkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > 1. All mono bitmap data for glyphs etc appears to be stored in LSB format
> > internally. A lot of PC hardware is MSB, and XAA bit twiddles the bits
> > before passing it to the low level layers for hardware that is MSB only.
> > I am wondering if there is a way to tell XFree86 to store internal
> > bitmaps in MSB format instead so the native bitmaps will better match
> > some hardware. Is that possible?
>
>    No alot of the server expects it to match the depth 1 Ximage format,

So I assume that we will just have to do the bit twiddling on cards that
are MSB only? I guess we can live with that ;-)

> > 2. With the pixmap cache in offscreen memory, the way our driver is
> > initialising it right now is that it is a large chunk of (x,y)
> > addressable memory after the primary display buffer. Most modern cards
> > can utilise linear memory which is more efficient as bitmaps can be more
> > tighly packed and you can address the entire framebuffer (some cards
> > cannot address a very large x,y coordinate space). Is it possible to use
> > linear offscreen memory for the pixmap cache, or do we have to write our
> > own pixmap cache handling code to make this work?
>
>    You'd have to write your own cache.

Ok. Are there any drivers that presently implement their own cache we can
look at, or will we have to start this from scratch? We already have our
own offscreen buffer manager code, so we just need to figure out how to
hook it into XAA somehow.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~