Actually the window in which I run top only refreshes when
the CPU is not maxed out. I'm trying to find a way of logging
to a file the CPU activity but it all seems to me that the X
process if eating all the CPU cycles.

Salvio wrote:

before changing anything, when moving windows, top shows:

70-75% to X
about 10% to metacity
about 10% to gnome-terminal

when idle, top shows: <2% to X <2% to gnome-terminal <1% to other applications

after changing:

<<Replace [...] videoRam line with Option "BackingStore" "On">>

top shows:

about 50-60% to X
about 10% to metacity
about 10% to gnome-terminal

(a little better, thanks, although I can still see the screen redrawing)

Does this tell you anything? Can this be made batter? This is still quite
slower that it used to be in ms widows.

Things I noticed:

1 - in XFree86.0.log the:
(WW) ATI(0): Cannot shadow an accelerated frame buffer.
has been replaced by
(II) ATI(0): Using shadow frame buffer.

2 - (WW) ATI(0): Extraneous XF86Config VertRefresh specification(s) ignored.
is still there

3 - instead of
(==) ATI(0): Backing store disabled
I get