On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Salvio wrote:

> I have attached the latest config file and log.

> I was incorrect in stating #1: I was testing the system disabling
> acceleration (option "accel" "no") to see if I could notice any
> difference.

> The attached log is the one corresponding to the attached config.

> The video redraw speed is still very slow.

> I can tell no difference when starting the system using "accel" "no"
> or commenting that out...

> Also, as I said in my initial posting, I notice a very similar behaviour
> on another Laptop of mine (Dell Inspiron 5100, ATI Radeon 7500)
> with the same OS installed (dual boot this time, I can do things using
> windows too if that helps...) - still I see high CPU activity with similar
> patter as it happens on the Latitude.

> Can this be a Red Hat 9 problem? Could this be a problem in Gnome?
> I have found several posts similar to mine searching the internet (from
> the far past to present days) and none of them has been actually
> answered.

> Let me know if there are other things I can try.

You mention gnome-terminal.  From there, start two xterms, i.e.

        xterm &
        xterm &

(That's "xterm", not "gnome-terminal".)

In one of them run top.  Move the other xterm around, watching what top
reports.  Does CPU utilisation max out when only moving an xterm?

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |