On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 08:47:11PM +0100, Grzegorz Nieweglowski wrote:

>>>"(...) If the directory dir is a standard system include directory, the
>>>option (this means -I) is ignored"
>>
>> Do the gcc people give a reason for not allowing a system directory to
>> be "blessed" with -I?
>
>I wouldn't call it a "reason", but the manual puts it like this:
>
>"(...) the option is ignored to ensure that the default search order for
>system directories and the special treatment of system headers are not
>defeated".

OK, I see.  This is to prevent system directories being searched
before directories containing gcc-specific replacements for system
headers.

>> There is no ft2build.h in the xc/lib/font/FreeType directory in
>> 4.3.99.901 (it got moved to the only place that uses it:
>> xc/lib/font/FreeType/module).  That's why I asked if your 4.3.99.901
>> source was "clean" :-)  I did see this problem myself before moving
>> it.
>
>But... but my tree is clean. It just isn't a "pure" 4.3.99.901 tarball,
>because some time ago I've downloaded 4.3.99.14 and then gradually
>patched it up. But all I did was unpack the archive, apply the newest
>patch and repack it. I tried not to break anything, really :)
>
>I know that not all changes can be registered by diff (and reproduced by
>patch) but I expected it only to affect non-textual files, like
>some images or maybe binary fonts. Diff&patch are pretty reliable when
>it comes to creating/removing text files, at least that's my impression.

Yes, it is.  Back before XFree86 had wide CVS access, all updates
were distributed as patches, and it worked pretty well.

>But I guess you'd need to use the '-N' diff option to get that behavior
>(at least with GNU diff), and the official patches don't do that, they
>only use "-u". Is the -N something available only with some special
>versions of diff? Or would it be possible to generate future patches
>with -uN ?

If you look through the 4.3.99.15-1.3.99.16 patch, you'll find the
patch hunk that removes xc/lib/font/FreeType/ft2build.h.  I don't know why
it didn't happen for you.

>> If there's a reliable way of knowing when to include <FlexLexer.h>,
>> then we probably should include it.
>
>I've just noticed that my FlexLexer.h requires iostream and maybe some
>more C++ parts. Maybe that was the reason for merging parts of it into
>twm - to avoid the dependencies on a C++ compiler? If you would include
>this header, you would probably need something like g++ to compile twm.
>Not very nice, is it now. So maybe it would be easier to just play along
>and keep it the way it is now... just patch twm up a bit so that it
>compiles with older and newer flex releases... Would my, ekhm, "patch"
>cause trouble with older flex versions?

I don't see any problem with your patch.  I was just wondering if
there might be a flex-supplied header that could be used to avoid
these repeated updates.  It looks like FlexLexer.h isn't it if it
requires C++.

David
--
David Dawes
developer/release engineer                      The XFree86 Project