On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 03:18:32PM -0500, Robert Hailey wrote:
> Judging from a business-process perspective, if it were up to me (and it's
> not!) I would elect to do these two options.
>
> Direct paypal
> .... for those that want it now (and they likely have a paypal account). I
> presume this is pretty easy.
>
> Vanilla Yubikeys
> ... for those who don't want to use paypal (but don't mind waiting). Atop of
> the base amount of work that the other mechanisms need anyway, this is
> trivial.
>
> In such a case, we then only alienate those who are both paranoid *AND*
> impatient; plus we give them a choice, and don't require that they obtain the
> yubikey in any particular way (only that it has the stock identity).
>
> What's more, implementing both of these options is probably simpler than
> implementing *only* a BTC workflow.

Speaking of Bitcoins...

As Matthew Toseland said at the top of this thread:

> Surveillance: Connect to every node, log all the inserts for a month
> (freenet content doesn't last long if not requested). Connect it to
> announced content. Surprisingly cheap, given our relatively low
> bandwidth usage per peer etc, and it will become cheaper per node as the
> network grows because bandwidth (and everything else) gets *really*
> cheap in large volumes. This is a Sybil attack: The only way to beat it
> is by using some sort of scarcity.

Have you guys looked into using Bitcoin fidelity bonds? Basically the
idea is you associate your pseudonym with the act of destroying or
giving away some Bitcoins - a scarce resource - thus making a normally
cheap pseudonym expensive. Since they are denominated in Bitcoins the
cost for the attacker is the same as the defender - often not the case,
eg. bandwidth or ip addresses which are much cheaper in bulk. Verifying
fidelity bonds (specifically the Bitcoin sacrifice proofs within them)
is quite cheap to do and requires only block headers - about 5MB of data
a year.

Basically the security model is now an attacker has to outspend the
defenders in terms of Bitcoins sacrificed. Not perfect, but it may be of
value, especially in conjunction with other protections. They do have
potential anonymity issues, but we're talking about opennet where the
attacker knows your IP address anyway. There's also a varient of
proof-of-sacrifice where you prove you attempted to create Bitcoins, a
proof that has no linkage to any other Bitcoin transaction.

Of course they could also be useful for anti-spam on FMS/Front/Sone and
so forth, especially as captcha-solving technology gets better. The
"puzzle" system is clever, but probably won't work forever.

1) https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Fidelity_bonds

--
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
000000000000003ccba88d8a6838d94c6417e5a0b70685125af8f70f6803aaa3