Hello,

Here is my experience.
For my simple technical website (www.mandubian.org (not ads here)), I used a
mix between Magnolia and XWiki:
- Magnolia as the content aggregator and "visual facade" using Magnolia
easily customisable skin system, publishing/workflow features and also for
the idea of authoring/public instances. But I don't need anything more from
Magnolia.
- XWiki as the content provider with a small plugin I developed in order to
integrate XWiki into Magnolia. XWiki provides a much simpler and concrete
way to create my content because my website is not a commercial site or
sport news site.

In a summary, I write with XWiki and I publish with Magnolia.

So everything is not perfect and well integrated but it works and I can
publish my small articles quite easily.

In fact, beyond some publishing and workflow features that XWiki lacks, the
reason why I chose to use Magnolia CMS for the "what you see" and XWiki for
the "what you get" is the skin issue: I can't spend too much time
customizing the skin and I need a "practical" base for this:
- a nice skin with all the stuff a website usually provides (menus, teasers,
panels, events, columns, etc...)
- A wysiwyg way to modify the skin and re-organize the structure of the
presentation

Magnolia (and other CMS) provides it. XWiki provides everything to do it but
not "out of the box" and you need to customize everything manually. I
customized XWiki skin for some sites focused on the "Wiki" features but for
a public website, this consumes too much time.

You guys at XWiki must be in the middle of the now classical CMS/Wiki
conflict but I used some CMS for some time now and XWiki for some time also
and my conclusion is that I don't see any reason why XWiki couldn't be used
to create nice websites.

regards
Pascal