I understand that there is tremendous frustration and righteous anger
with the delays in getting aid on the ground.  I can't speak for other
agencies, but I can share my impressions regarding the Red Cross. I just
returned from a nine-hour crash course offered by the regional Red Cross
chapter in Sacramento to prepare new volunteers to be deployed to the
Gulf region.  There were over 100 folks from young adults to graying
maturity willing to lend a hand. The seasoned instructors repeatedly
stressed that the Red Cross does not ever deploy their staff or
volunteers to situations where their safety cannot be assured-with the
possible exception of a few highly-trained professionals on the front
lines--to do otherwise would be to invite more chaos and potentially
more casualties. Every agency has its own mission plan-what I learned
today is that the Red Cross sees its immediate task as to receive the
dislocated persons at one of the numerous shelters that are already set
up away from the area directly impacted-you don't erect a shelter in the
swamp--shelters need to have adequate supplies and staff (a few paid
staff and tons of volunteers) to make such a monumental task possible,
otherwise we will see smaller, numerous "superdomes" with all the
attendant chaos and dangerous conditions. Red Cross staff left
California before Katrina made landfall to begin staging equipment. In
the weeks and months to come, the Red Cross and others will move to the
cleaning and rebuilding stage of the recovery. Can the Red Cross improve
their systems of response? Sure, and they are certainly a large
organization with a bureaucracy and culture that may not be as quick to
change as one might desire.  There can be better coordination with other
agencies and new communications tools can help. Still, they get the job
done. I am sure that every agency will need to do some post-response
analysis and indeed, soul-searching to measure their effectiveness. As
to the questions regarding non-financial donations--used clothing for
example-- the Red Cross told us that the agency does not have the
infrastructure to process such well-meaning donations--not to mention
the finances to cover the tremendous cost of packing and shipping such
items to a disaster scene. At the end of last year's devastating spate
of hurricanes in Florida, the Red Cross was stuck with a warehouse full
of donated but unusable (for their particular mission) items-used and
sometimes ragged clothes, used furniture, all of which had to be either
redirected to other agencies or hauled to the dump. By the way, at the
end of the day, the entire class was assured that if we are willing, we
will be deployed ASAP. I hope to be on the ground somewhere in the
region by Thursday. If I have any phone access (we were told not to
count on it) I'll try to post some audio on Andy Carvin's Katrina
Aftermath page <http://katrina05.blogspot.com/>  .

Chris Warner-Carey
Grace Lutheran Church
Ukiah, CA