[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hi
>Another communications problem is the electricity to restore the battery for
>cell phones.   Most people don't own extra charged batteries.
>
>Is there another way to charge batteries?   Sun powered wouldn't last very
>long and it still makes you very dependent.   Makes you wish for the ability
>use A   or AA batteries.

Actually, there are kits sold that allow you to use solar energy to
charge a battery which then can be used to charge a cellular phone
battery. They just haven't been seen as marketable in the U.S., it seems.

Solar energy is certainly a viable energy source if used sensibly. It's
also not too hard to rig a dynamo on a bicycle if you're desperate.

And yes, you could use A, AA, C, or even 9 Volt batteries if you needed
to. You just have to know which pins to run the wires to, and use the
cell battery in place to keep the connection.

But you don't think of this until you are forced to deal with these
things - and it requires some knowledge and the ability to use that
knowledge (note I did not say education). I suppose people don't think
that these things are important until it's too late. We live in an age
where, in the developing world, almost everything runs off of
electricity and nobody seems to know how to power things in emergencies.
There's something that should be taught in school...

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: Georgetown, Guyana

http://www.knowprose.com