>From: Taran Rampersad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: Thu Sep 01 14:25:42 CDT 2005
>To: The Digital Divide Network discussion group <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [DDN] Hurricane Katrina mobcast launched

Just a comment to add: I am a retired Army signal Corps type, and I have been
looking for reports of communications facilitated by airborne platforms. Having
a helicopter set up with communications gear hovering for a shift can make a
huge difference. I've seen it done, and its remarkably effective especially
over long distances. The only thing I can figure is that all helicopters
available are running higher priority missions. But one essential feature of
command and control is good communications. Surprised that tried-and-true
technology isn't out in front. Then again, the news doesn't cover everything
that goes on. But complaints about the lack of communication are disturbing. 1
Sept. 2005