[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
(...) My thinking about the CTCnet is simple, however. Might you consider that most of the people are not technoliterate and that there would be , for those who wanted to use the internet some rush to the use of the technology. (...)
> Would they be in touch with others on line? (...)
I wonder how we could know
the level of technology of the people. I guess it would be a great time to learn and understand . In my work with the people of these states, there was all too little in the way of technology (...) The only time I have ever cried on a technology tour was in Mississippi.. it is worse , in poverty than any place in the US. the plight of the elderly is very bad. Bonnie

Hi Bonnie and All

*Rush for the use of the computers*

Turns could be organised, maybe? But reserving some computers for the not technoliterate people, with help available. See below.

*Tech capacities*

I have no experience of proper CTCs, but not having the internet at home back then, I was using library connections during the Kosovo war - alongside newly arrived Kosovar and other refugees, who were showing each other how to use e-mail, how to go to sites with information about their relatives.

I also volunteered at the Tour-de-Clic www.tour-de-clic.ch operation, organised by infosociety www.infosociety.ch and meant to bring ICT to people on the wrong side of the digital divide in Switzerland. They were using a big lorry too, with 12 connected Macs in it. Stopping for one day in each big town didn't allow any durable learning. Nevertheless, the simplified desktop interface was a great idea.

*illiteracy*

Some tech tools can help: screen-reading and voice-to-text programs; possibility to send and receive voice e-mails, though maybe the size of a voice e-mail could be a problem: maybe rather the possibility to access a portal where these voice e-mails are gathered.

*personal help*

But of course, personal help is of essence, especially with elderly people. When Tour-de-Clic stopped in Bellinzona, there was an 80+ man drinking coffee while his daughter was being coached. He was reluctant to have a go himself. When I finally conviced him, he laughed at the simplicity of it: as a young man, he had been one of the first radio hams/hacks, and the very first man in Switzerland to get fined by the Post Office for not having paid the radio tax. In other words, he was far more of a techie than I or anyone in that lorry, but even he, and in relaxed circumstances, had decided at one point that computers were beyond him, and he needed a human next to him to make the first step. This personal help would be far more important for people who have no tech experience at all, have literacy problems and are traumatized. Perhaps it could also be provided by other displaced people who have basic tech literacy.

cheers

Claude

--
Claude Almansi