Phil,

It may not be the answer you were looking for but depending on the type of
memory, there may be readily available and very cheap upgrade options. Some
imacs take generic desktop RAM and some take laptop RAM. If it takes the older
type desktop RAM, there should be some available for a very small price.

I recently ran into the same problem with an older imac and a Cannon printer.
After some internet digging I found that by turning off a few of the printer
extensions it was able to work, with less than the required amount of memory.

Hope this helps.

Rob Davidson

Program/Technology Director

Institute for the Study of Digital Inclusion