Bruce,

Yes, frequency coordination above 53 MHz would be a problem
when the band open, but I think we would have a few years
to work that out as the technology evolved from self-designed
kit modems, to publicly available kits, to a manufactured product
such as is sold for 4 MHz ATV at present.

The test frequency, and it was ONLY for testing, NOT regular
operating, was selected entirely by the test station (John, KD6OZH),
apparently based on his local situation.

The WG (abour two dozen Hams) and the ARRL OK'd it ior the 6-month
long STA application for testing purposes only, again, NOT for normal
operations,
if later permanently approved.

NOTE:  ARRL actually is NOT in the frequency coordinating business, only in
suggested band plans...or at least that is what they kept telling me (HI).

Part of John rationale for picking a busier section of the band may
have been to see if anyone even heard his signal!  Although more power
was requested, I don't think he ever ran more than 50W either.

Now that may sound like a lot of power from a GP @ 40 feet, but keep
in mind that unlike WR4ANA, John's test HSMM signal (actually OFDM) would be
SPREAD OUT over 100 kHz, so its power density in a SSB or AM receiver
listening to only a few kH would be VERY VERY low.

They might not even notice he was there, as he would just blend-in with
the background noise!!!

As the WG chairman I just passed along the requested info to the ARRL
lawyer.
That wasn't my call, and his arguments for using that portion (of the band
for just 6-months of testing sounded logical enough to me and the other
guys...

John