Loyd,

What I seem to be reading in your message is that digital modes are
somehow different than other modes and do not follow the laws of physics.

While the digital text modes can often get through under what seems
nearly miraculous conditions, they can also go from solid print at one
moment to nearly nothing if the signal to noise ratio drops even 1 dB.

Lifting your signal up a few dB's will make all the difference. If you
double your power, your signal should increase by a factor of 3 dB,
which is significant. If you increase 10 times, you can expect a 10 dB
increase which is a very large difference. Usually, if you are on the
edge, the doubling can really help unless the band is going out or going
long or the receiving station has some QRM or increased QRN such as you
will experience in the evenings on the lower bands.

I generally run my ICOM 756 Pro 2 at around 25 watts on the meter when
running most digital modes. I can run much higher power without
triggering ALC if I carefully control the audio drive level from the
computer. In fact, I use the lowest possible drive level possible that
does not trigger the ALC when running near full power of 100 watts. Then
I typically back down to the 25 watts. I have found during some of my
NVIS tests with a local ham, that when 25 watts just won't make it, 50
watts results in 100% print.

As long as you are not improperly modulating your signal it makes no
difference whether your signal is digital or analog.