First, Demetre, my focus has been on unattended stations that rely on
remote initiators to determine whether or not the frequency is clear.
This has nothing to do with the bandwidth of the protocol employed.
It would be just as unacceptable in CW as it is in PSK, RTTY, or
Pactor.

Second, none of the sub-bands in which unattended operation is
permitted are reserved for the exclusive use of unattended stations.
We are expected to share these frequencies, just as we share other
frequencies among multiple modes and styles of operation. Holding a
keyboard-to-keyboard Olivia QSO within a sub-band that permits
unattend operation is not the same has holding an SSB QSO within a
sub-band exclusively reserved for CW. The latter is a violation of
rules; the former is not.

Third, the sub-bands in which unattended operation is permitted vary
from region to region -- so someone might be operating on a frequency
outside the sub-band that permits unattended operation in their own
region and yet be QRM'd by an unattended station operating in another
region where unattended operation is permitted on that frequency.

I certainly agree that operators should look first for an appropriate
clear space outside the unattended sub-bands, but this doesn't
prevent collisions for the reasons described above.

In summary, unattended stations cannot presume to exclusively own
their frequencies. They are never justified in transmitting without
first checking to see that the frequency is clear.

   73,

      Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Demetre SV1UY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>