Rud,

Running Linux in an old box requires an old version of Linux, matched to
the box contents.

I used RedHat 5.2 on a 486, and 6.2 on a P1. Mostly, text mode, with a
CGA or the older and less voracious GUI, with 1 MB RAM video cards. The
BBS's ran happy with it, and I even did ftp and http using text mode
with those boxes. I usually ran ax.25, a node, FBB, JNOS with net2kiss,
DXNET, a slip link, apache, wuftpd or vsftpd, etc.

But since Linux has gone to please the GUI lovers, the resource
requirements are about the same or maybe even higher. I also like the
pretty colored screens, but really enjoyed surfing the net with a text
screen faster than the old boxes running Win95.

Nowadays is less probable that I will be running a 486, but I still keep
the old disks. I had a hard to forget, nice experience with a few "no
good for Windows" boxes. I really enjoyed the challenge, which was not a
vain one, as the BBS's gave a good service to the user community. I kept
a 1991 vintage 486DX2/66 running until 2004 in text mode. I hardly reset
it, mostly the power company did not allow the uptimes to exceed 30 to
40 days, with power cuts for manteinance or failures during thunderstorms.

73,

Jose, CO2JA
Linux User 91155
http://counter.li.org

----

> Heck, even the old
> adage about Linux running on older boxes is no longer true. I went to
> install a version only to find it would not run on a box from '99.
>

> Rud Merriam K5RUD
> ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX
> http://TheHamNetwork.net

Participe en Universidad 2008.
11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.universidad2008.cu