The reason for the open source concept in my mind is to insure
continuity of a project in case of death or disinterest by the initial
developers. I don't buy the too many cooks analogy in any way.
Completely wrong metaphor for software development. No one is in the way
of another, rather they are collaborating. They are not necessarily even
involving the end user any differently than you would with a close project.

When Linus Torvalds began writing the Linux kernal, there was minimal
support for open source. It was not until it was used as the kernal for
the GNU system that had most of the other pieces already developed or in
the process of being developed that the GNU/Linux system was functional.
And then you have protection from anyone trying to take your ideas and
claim them as their own because you will likely select the GPL or other
copyright protection and if they do further development, they have to
share their work with everyone else, including you.

I agree that having 100's of versions of Linux is not always productive
because it dilutes the energy of the untold thousands of volunteers as
well as the commercial Linux developers. If they could focus on fewer
versions, then they would have more time to correct shortcomings. But
that assumes that they want to work on a specific niche area and they
may not be interested. So in the long run, having the many versions does
more good than harm since only a few versions are really all that
popular. And you also have country and language specific versions that
may be a better fit for those users.

It is unfortunate if developers do not want to write cross platform
code, but it is their prerogative to do what they think is best for
themselves. They may find that in the future someone could eclipse them,
but then again it depends on many factors such as licensing issues for
code that they may be using in their program.

The mythology that Linux can run on old equipment depends upon the
version of Linux. Some are designed to use lesser hardware, such as
Puppy Linux or Vector Linux, but the leading edge versions do not. But
even Vector Linux (as an example) keeps advancing whereas old Windows
versions are not.