From: "Rud Merriam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <digitalradio@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 10:13 PM
Subject: RE: [digitalradio] Re: OFDM Proposal

Ed,

I am looking into the possibilities of OFDM. Right now I am stumbling over
how to modulate the sub channels using the IFFT. <g> Actually, I think it is
done by putting equal values in the real and imaginary parts of a bin and
then doing the IFFT but need to try it out.

I am a big proponent of FEC feeling it is woefully underused in ham digital
modes. If you ain't FEC'n; you ain't tryin'. More pragmatically if you don't
need FEC then you are using more bandwidth or power than necessary.

One form of FEC I am curious about is putting FEC on each symbol. It has
been an awfully long time that I looked at the error correcting codes (ECC)
that are used in computer memory so I do not recall the details. A little
research should remedy that memory failure. But putting 2 bit detection with
1 bit correction on a byte wide symbol might be worth the effort.

In other words, stand by while I play with this. I will keep the group
updated either by direct results or questions.

Rud Merriam K5RUD
ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX
http://TheHamNetwork.net