OFDM is used by a number of programs as Ed mentions, but isn't this also
the prime basis for many of our sound card modes? And Pactor 3?

Most of the items mentioned below have been done or are currently used
technology. One glaring exception is the lack of a narrow ARQ mode for
keyboard that runs on the major platform. There is PSKmail on Linux but
nothing for MS Windows, so this technology has not advanced very much.
We do have wide ARQ mode now with FAE which uses the 8FSK signaling
waveform from the older ALE designs. It is very wide and has mediocre
performance by today's standards, but at least it is available now.
Narrower and more robust waveforms would be welcome as a replacement.

The timing issue with ARQ modems has not been a problem with moderately
long transmissions of several seconds or more. Perhaps the main
consideration is not the length of time for the transmission as much as
the length of time of the window for the ACK/NAK.

OFDM has trade-off issues since it spreads many tones simultaneously
over a wide area. This leads to a crest factor that reduces power for
any given tone compared to putting all the energy into one tone at a time.

Because of the interpretation of the Part 97 rules, here in the U.S., we
can use very wide band OFDM modes that have multiple carriers in the
text digital areas of the bands, as long as none are faster than 300
baud. At the same time, we can not use high speed single tone modems
when they exceed 300 baud and yet from what I have been able to
determine, they are similar in bandwidth to OFDM.

But we can use the high speed modems on the voice/image portions of the
bands with what appears to be unlimited baud rates, and yet the
proponents of these modems, never seem to be tested and reporting back
to us how well they work. Instead they complain how we can not use them
in the text digital portions of the bands.

Can anyone explain this?