> Could a
> higher higher success rate without the fill requests be achieved with
> some combination of better FEC, slower data rate, better spreading of
> the data over frequency and/or time?

Try it. It's all there.

FEC, data spreading and data rate can be selected in DRM, read the doc.
Easypal has an additional FEC mode with much wider data spreading and
another layer of high-efficiency FEC. By doubling the transmission time,
you can recover up to 50% of the data ...

> Would it be feasible to
> use OFDM (or any other mode) with much longer ARQ cycle times
> (several seconds) to accomodate the computer timing limitations?

This is already done. Find out how the bsr-stuff works. The limitation is
that it's not automatic. This was an intentional design decision. We dont
want a bunch of drm-robots on the qrg.