Clearly, the 7070 watering hole is used 24/7 by narrow PSK31 stations as
long as the band is open. The contester can unfortunately use SSB voice
in that part of the band. He may not have known or cared that this is
about the hottest digital area on 40 meters, but of course the PSK31
stations were there first.

He may have been on earlier and the propagation could have changed. But
probably not as he seemed to come out of nowhere and then got no
response and gave up after a while. The other stations were higher in
frequency and I could not be sure of the language. It sounded like
French but perhaps a Caribbean patois?

Because of the type of smearing modulation from SSB, I have come to the
conclusion that bandwidth is not a good way to segregate signals. The
mode really does need to be taken into consideration.