  From: Rick W
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 18:52 UTC
  Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: Emision designators for EasyPal

  Hi John,

  While the EasyPal program is primarily used on HF for image
  transmission, since it can send data in most any form, the Third Symbol
  does matter here in the U.S. since you can not send image (fax) in the
  RTTY/Data portions of the bands unless 500 Hz or narrower and EasyPal is
  closer to a phone bandwidth in size. Many countries have no specific
  rules like we have and while it is true that there are a number of
  scofflaw hams, the better way to handle this is to change the rules
  rather than violate them. Or at the very least, have a bureaucratic
  interpretation which then effectively has the force of law unless
  overridden by higher authority.

  The land mobile services do not follow Part 97 rules so these rules do
  not apply to radio amateurs. If the FCC ignores certain rules (and they
  clearly do, based on what can only be described as stonewalling on some
  of these issues for quite some time), then it is difficult for them to
  argue when any rules are not followed. Not a good thing in my view and
  hopefully the view of most law abiding hams. But just because most of us
  follow the rules, (or try to t the best of our abilities), does not
  necessarily mean we agree with them. Unfortunately, the majority of U.S.
  hams do not support changes to these rules:(

  My preference would be getting the FCC to agree that any files that
  could be sent by a program such as EasyPal would then be legal to use in
  the Phone/Image portions of the bands. I suppose sending a petition
  would be one way since they do not respond to those of us who have asked
  for an interpretation. I am guessing that they are betting that no one
  will petition them, which would be a 100 times more paperwork for them
  than just responding to a request. Otherwise, you would think that they
  would respond, as best they can, to avoid a petition. I would like to
  see it decided one way or the other.