While I somewhat agree that there is a perception of ARQ modes being
slower, this has not been based upon my actual testing of FAE400. The
ability of FAE400 to work at least as deep into the noise as PSK31, and
probably a bit deeper with its memory ARQ capabilities, not available in
any other sound card mode at this time, and its much greater throughput,
often makes it difficult to keep up with the flow if your keyboarding
speed is much below 40 wpm.

If you want to send a file or an image, you need to have ARQ, but it
really does appear that most hams just want relatively quick boiler
plate contacts.

On VHF, you have more tolerance, but I have found PSK31 to be less than
desirable since any multipath (aircraft, hills, etc.) can make it
scramble data. The WRAP program makes a lot of sense when you do not
want a connected mode, such as a one to many bulletin.

Using MT-63 on phone circuits will work because you typically have very
good signals. If you did not have this, you could not use phone as well
as MT-63. But for weaker signal applications, MT-63 can not compete well
with other modes.

I do not agree that the learning curve is too great for FAE400 compared
with NBEMS or any other system. If you are a user of Multipsk, then only
a few things need to be learned. The clutter of the program does mean
that very few hams are moving in that direction anymore. Even myself,
who at once time mostly used Multipsk, have moved to fldigi and for
almost total rig control as well as non-ARQ digital modes find Ham Radio
Deluxe to be the best for a completely integrated program. Nothing else
can come even slightly close for now.

But if you want to run packet radio at 300 or 1200 baud, or FAE400 and
the faster FAE (2000) and similar modes that have a basis from the old
ALE protocols, the only freely available program is Multipsk.

One the other hand fldigi has the unique capability of non only being
the only cross platform multimode digital program, but acts as the core
program for NBEMS and PSKmail. What is complicated that to get basic rig
control and centralized logging, quite a few programs need to be running
and that is quite complicated.

Bottom line: If you don't use a given program and mode on a regular
basis (daily or at least weekly) you are not going to be using it for
public service either. And if we are to ever develop ARQ BBS systems
that can work with sound card modes and provide a superior solution to
300 baud packet on HF, we have to have these technologies.