You know what's really exciting? We are a hop, skip and jump away from a
powerful, lightweight ALE implementation that would probably outperform
MIL-STD-188-141A by a large margin.

Right now the code scans an entire 3KHz bandwidth for RSID (or more with SDR).
When you add in the future, planned SELCAL feature the only things missing
after that are scanning and an automated response.

It also appears possible that the software would be capable of automatically
choosing an empty spot on the waterfall to make the call. This would allow all
calls to occur simultaneously and therefore I would suggest time synchronized
scanning a la JT65 or WSPR in order to improve probability of intercept without
long or repetitive RSID transmissions. Say 4 second dwell per band to allow a
+/-1 second guard band on the timing (given a 2 second RSID transmission
length). The occasional collision would be worth the simplicity and reliability.

Thanks again, Simon!

Scott
k*b*l*0*0*q