You cannot replace the C drive of Windows PC #1 with the C drive of Windows
PC #2 and expect the resulting machine to boot unless PC #1 and PC #2 use
the same motherboard and peripherals. However, you can configure the C drive
of PC #2 to be a secondary drive in PC #1 assuming that PC #1 supports the
appropriate hardware interface -- e.g. if the PC #2's hard drive uses an IDE
interface, then you'll need an IDE interface in PC #1.

Addonics makes a product that lets you convert any IDE drive into an
external USB drive. Access via USB is significantly slower than native IDE
access, but you can connect to any PC with a USB interface; perhaps they
have a USB 2.0 version by now:

http://www.addonics.com/products/io/

While converters like these are somewhat slow, they allow you to connect a
drive up to a running PC -- eliminating the need to power it down, open its
chassis, and make the IDE or SATA connection -- which can be difficult in a
smaller chassis stuffed with cables.

I have occasionally moved IDE drives between PCs whose motherboards were
manufactured by different companies, but never encountered a driver problem.
When it doesn't work the right off the bat, its usually a master/slave
configuration issue; I've also run into IDE cables with bad slave
connectivity (cable or connector problems).

There is nothing in the Windows End User License Agreement that precludes
attaching a disk on which Windows has been installed to another PC running
Windows (or any other OS).

If you have frequent power outages, I recommend adding a UPS capable of
powering your PC long enough to shut down Windows in an orderly fashion;
otherwise, you are subjecting the data on your hard drive(s) to risk from
both power surges and from being scribbled upon if the drive happens to be
in the middle of write operation when the power fails. APC makes a nice
product, but be sure to not buy one larger than is needed for ~5 minutes of
operation.

I have no relationship with any of the companies mentioned above...

    73,

         Dave, AA6YQ