Hi,

Le Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:21:14 +0000,
Michael Meeks <michael.me...@novell.com> a écrit :

> Hi there,
>
> On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 15:46 +0100, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
> > Please find the more or less final draft of the trademark policy of
> > the Document Foundation:
> > http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TradeMark_Policy
>
>       We've done some analysis internally on it, and the good news
> is that the text looks fairly good.
>
>       There is some concern about the lack of clarity on whether
>       incorporating libreoffice (or other marks) into a domain name
>       is allowed - this is an area people often want to tread on,
> and we should probably directly address it.
>
>       Similarly - it does not mention including 'libreoffice' into a
>       business name - I think we should simply prohibit that.
>
>       So I suggest we add a clarification of both of these to the
> end of the "Non permitted use section".
>
>       "Thus uses of the Marks in a domain name, or business name
>        without explicit written permission from TDF are prohibited."

That does sound sensible. We should also think about having maybe
differentiated logos...

>       Another point is around the licensing of the policy itself; I
> suggest we place it under some sort of open license  - e.g., creative
> commons attribution share-alike, or something like that, so other
> projects can freely re-use it. That is relatively easy to do, but I'd
> like to get Karen's feedback first.

That's trivial indeed.

>       Finally - I just realised that I'd like the "substantially
> unmodified" clause to include a few more bundling bits: so
>
>       "Substantially unmodified" means built from the source code
>        provided by TDF, possibly with minor modifications including
>        but not limited to: the enabling or disabling of certain
>        features by default, translations into other languages,
> changes required for compatibility with a particular operating system
> -      distribution, or the inclusion of bug-fix patches)."
> +      distribution, the inclusion of bug-fix patches, or the
> bundling
> +      of additional fonts, templates, artwork and extensions)
>
>       Since that seems like it is something people would want to
> call LibreOffice and just extends the "package other translations"
> scope to other common things.
>
>       So - do people have problems with any of that ?

Not from my side. Here's the feedback I gathered elsewhere (from other
lawyers):
-the substantially unmodified clause was found vague so what you just
proposed above might help.
- there was the question of the clause requesting that any distributor
  mentions one can get LibreOffice for free (on our website) and
  provide a link to it. The question was about whether we should
  request distributors to put that more proeminently. I have to say I
  didn't really understand that comment; but the answer was that
  Mozilla does not even allow to make a profit from the distribution of
  the software on a physical medium (you can charge a fee covering
  costs, but not make a profit on it apparently). I think we want to
  leave our clause the way it is, it sounds reasonnable.

Best,
Charles.

--
Charles-H. Schulz