This is a story about the usability of LO BASIC and the documentation thereof.
And also a plea for help.

I'm trying to get LibreOffice to work with SAP Business One (hereafter called
B1) in order to eliminate the need to pay for expensive licenses for Microsoft
Excel.

B1 has a toolbar button that's supposed to generate a spreadsheet for data
viewed as a table onscreen. Unfortunately, instead of really creating a
spreadsheet, B1 just dumps out a tab-separated text file and then opens a
spreadsheet called "AutoOpen.xls" that in turn loads the text file into a new
spreadsheet.

This clunky way of doing things has the advantage that there's no worry about
file formats. Whatever version of Excel you're running, it can open the text
file. This method *could* work in LibreOffice too, but unfortunately the macro
command used in AutoOpen.xls doesn't exist in LO BASIC. The command is
Workbooks.OpenText

I'm not sure if the problem is that OpenText doesn't exist, or if there is no
Workbooks object to begin with. The documentation on LO BASIC is so sparse that
I can't find anything about opening spreadsheets. The LO help file promises
documentation at OpenOffice.org; but clicking that link takes me instead to
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/BASIC_Guide, which is a
placeholder page containing only a link to another website--which doesn't
respond.

(By the way, the help file does document an Open command, but that command is
used to open simple data files to be processed and closed by the script. It
doesn't cause LO to open a document in the UI.)

After finding nothing documented, I enabled macro recording, began recording a
macro, and used File > Open to open the text file/spreadsheet myself.
Obviously, I was hoping to then examine the macro to learn what objects and
functions LO uses to open files. But opening a new file causes macro recording
to end without a comment, warning, or error…and without saving anything of the
macro in progress.

Can anyone give me clues to creating a macro which can open a spreadsheet?

--

Charles