Dear Heath and Steve,
Just checked the new prefPane against our school proxy server...
works perfectly. Only tested Safari - works fine... the rest will be OK.
The log looks perfectly normal and fast.

By the way the Info version number still states 3.1.1 but I assume
that will change.

The connection was very fast BUT the school holidays have just started here
and there aren't 800plus students clammering for the proxy server.

Heath I would be very interested in finding out what changes you had
to make to cater for the difference in proxy server responses
and whether or not it was MS's pedantic error message nature.

Well it seems as though Heath you've solved it... it will be a bit sad that
this little discussion group will now terminate.
It has been nice working with you all.

Kind regards,
Bruce from a sunny 26C day downUnder - spring is here, time to to go to the
beach until February. Cheers...