I *could* argue that 37Signals *does* use personas, though it would be
a semantic argument. Jason refers to "our problems", which suggests to
me a summary of a collection of users. He just happens to know all the
users who make up that summary representation. Maybe he doesn't like
to call that a persona because to call it such wouldn't be
controversial.

The bottom line is that he visualizes users, makes decisions based on
information about users, and prioritizes decisions based on that
information.

Designers in other contexts (larger organizations, complex
applications, etc.) may not have the luxury of personally knowing
representatives of the target audience.

-- Dan