The bottom line for me in this entire thread: To those folks who
promote personas as a useful design tool, it seems quite clear to me
this industry has not done a good job of making clear what a persona
is and what some of the better methods are to research them.

Jared, to define that a "persona" is a meme inside an industry list
is one thing, but to have the people who develop these memes then
also create printed deliverables that read more like character
studies for movie spec scripts and lack more practical data
presentation discovered from the research is another. (I feel a Tufte
moment of railing on all the chart junk in persona deliverables
coming on, but I'll refrain.) The problem of how personas became
flubbed in our profession is straight forward as far as I'm
concerned. The printed persona deliverable -- the only tangible
element of this research process -- becomes the actual persona in the
minds of those who were not part of the research process. Basically,
every one else in the company. Then over a small amount of time, the
meme is no longer the persona, the persona has become that piece of
paper with the superficial photo on it. Then that circles back into
the core process and it degrades the tool overall for others who then
try to copy what they see other people doing, which in this case is
the printed deliverable.

The fact that the persona has become so bastardized as a tool is a
serious problem for our industry. We -- myself included to be honest
-- need to fix that.

If no one wants to fix it, then it becomes the kind of thing that
seriously degrades our value as professionals. Why? Because when
executives, entrepreneurs, engineers, product managers, marketing
execs, etc... When they work with designers in this field, they get
mixed messages and convoluted processes. The more they encounter
that, the more we lose our credibility.

And fwiw, that's exactly why I get so bent on some of these topics. I
actually agree with Jared that its insane that companies will spend
$8M on sales retreats but the design team has to scratch tooth and
nail to get $800K to do the proper research on a product. At the same
time, I also know that we don't enough of a good job justifying why
we need the budget. Our deliverables and process still seem far too
white ivory tower, throw it over the wall kind of things. (And this
is also why I harp on prototypes, since that deliverable does exactly
the job of creating large amounts of credibility for designers.)

It really needs to change.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios