On Nov 27, 2007, at 1:16 AM, Jeff White wrote:

> Also - unless there is a large design team which is separate from
> research staff, personas might not provide any extra value to those
> doing research + design. Chances are they'll acquire any knowledge
> from ethnography that a persona might provide and don't need the
> "report format" of a persona to refer to during design.

I'm not going to try to answer for Alan. (Did that once. Vowed to
never do it again. :) ).

However, there are some factual inaccuracies with this paragraph I'd
like to point out, having studied in-depth how teams are using personas.

Most of the teams we've studied who make the best use of personas are
small -- typically 3-5 individuals on the core team. (We divide
persona creation teams into a core team, who dedicate their resources
to the project, and an auxiliary, who are important to the creation,
but can't dedicate resources for more than a few hours a week.)
Typically, the core team members do all the field research and, in
many cases, each member visited the majority, if not all, of the
field sites.

It is these smaller teams that we've found see the most benefit from
a persona project. Larger teams, where many of the team members don't
get direct access to the field visits seem to get less value. The big
take away we've had is you are better off with everyone on the team
having field access.

One of the problems of field research is the volume of raw data you
collect. If you spend a reasonable time with the informant (what we
call the participant in an ethnographic study), you'll collect a ton
of information and artifacts. (A "reasonable time" is at least 90
minutes, but often as long as 3 or 4 hours. For some projects, a day
or two is warranted.)

Just because you have a ton of data doesn't mean you understand its
implications or how it should influence the design. In fact, field
research done well, in its early stage, will only confuse what you
thought you knew. (Good research disorients before it reveals a
direction.)

The value of the persona creation project is to provide a structured
method of taking this chaotic data and bringing it to order. The
teams in our research that got the most out of their persona projects
spent a lot of time discussing and organizing the raw data. (On
average, the analysis period is 125% of the field research time. A
team that spent 6 days in the field would spend 8 or 9 days doing
analysis.)

The "report format" (as you called it) is the deliverable known as
the persona description. Our research shows this is the least
valuable element of the process. (Yet, interestingly enough, it's
seems to be what everyone who objects to personas focuses on.) As
I've said before on this list, teams that make effective use of
personas see this deliverable as a souvenir of their journey and
don't give it a lot of weight. It's value is mostly for integration
into the development process, to bring out during design and
development discussions for "talking points".

You can have a very successful persona project without ever creating
or using the persona description. (Successful, in our research, means
the team rates it as being an essential process contributor to the
success of the overall project.)

So, in fact, based on the research we've done, none of the statements
in your paragraph prove to be true. Just wanted to point that out
before we took them as fact.

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED] p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks