Let me quote what Tog says in his article on the subject of
Interaction Design
<http://www.asktog.com/columns/057ItsTimeWeGotRespect.html>. He is
talking about the founding of this organization and he refers to the
article as "The most important I have ever written" and I suspect he
has some insight into what the original view of the audience of this
group was.

It's Time We Got Respect
October, 2003 Update

Organizing the new group is underway. Challis Hodge, David Heller,
Jim Jarrett, Rick Cecil have formed a steering committee and the
first discussions, centered on the new name of our profession, have
taken place.

The concensus for the name of our profession is "Interaction
Designer." One compelling reason for chosing this name, rather than
the "Interaction Architect" I had proposed is that a growing number
of jurisdictions forbid the use of the name "architect" by anyone
other than a building designer. It is also confusingly similar in
sound to "Information Architect," a title already in wide-spread use.

I am quite happy with the result. It was never my intention to thrust
a name upon the group, but rather to launch a debate.

Visit the new group to find out what is happening and to get involved.

I highly recommend reading the rest of the article. He has quite a
lot to say on the question of the name and what practitioners the
group was intended to represent. Much of it is particularly pertinent
in connection with the question of What UCD Is and therefore Who We
Are.

Katie
--

Katie Albers