Perfect timing for this discussion.  I get to copy & paste  my thoughts from
another list.  :)

I think this is an interesting area for us usability folks to talk about.
Does legalese really have to be written in a style that is inaccessible to
99% of the population?
I would argue that there is a way to express even the most complex legal
ideas in language that can be understood by the rest of us.

I also think that the tradition of the 6 page terms & conditions is often a
subterfuge used to slip in terms that users would never agree to if those
same terms were put forth in a briefer/clearer form.  Legalese is a way to
pay lip service to transparency while hiding behind an implementation that
is anything but.   To me, the very importance of legal considerations argues
for making those considerations clear to those who are unwittingly entering
into legal agreements by using websites or software.  Some recent examples
that come to mind are sites whose user agreements conveniently hand over
rights to any user-generated content to themselves.

Has anybody seen examples of sites that manage to cover themselves legally
while using language that is clear and transparent?  I have seen some
examples on newer websites, but now for the life of me I can't remember
where.

-eva