There are lots of good reasons users stop coming, so context matters:

   - Were they ever regular users, or were they just checking you out
   (Second Life, which has a huge fall off after registration)?
   - Have they forgotten their password and would log on if you reset it for
   them?
   - Do they just need a gentle reminder/invite and coupon or tour of what's
   new on your site? Or do they have a reason for not wanting to log on--for
   example, despite weekly e-mails from my brokerage firm, I simply do not want
   to face how much money my retirement account has lost since my last log on.

The other reason of course is they don't need what's offered by your
company. Reminders and incentives are unlikely to affect those people, so
good to separate them out if possible, and perhaps follow up with them
separately. If you were charging a monthly fee, they would cancel their
accounts rather than drop out.

I'd recommend testing responses to various approaches rather than sending a
survey, which is unlikely to engage anyone except the small demographic of
people who like to fill out surveys (most of whom are members of this list
:)

A friendly "we haven't heard from you in a while" e-mail accompanied by an
incentive can revitalize lost visitors/customers, at least the ones who saw
value in your service in the first place.

Finally if you do follow up (and you should), please offer an easy
unsubscribe. There's nothing I hate more than being spammed by some site I
logged onto once three years ago that wants me to remember a user name and
password in order to stop getting mail from them.

Diana