I might get shot for this, but the page title isn't the most
important thing on the page.

"The thing the page is supposed to do or say."

That's the most important thing on the page.

The title's reason for being is, indeed, to tell people they are
where they intended to be.  Therefore, it must be easy to find and
perhaps even subconsciously scanned while one absorbs the whole page.
 But I disagree that it should be more important/prominent (in
general) than a marketing message in the banner. If you can tell the
page title at a glance and it's only 12 px, then it has served its
purpose.

Of course, on a case by case basis, you can easily find marketing
messages that are less important than the page title, but that's a
different question.

2 cents =]

Bryan