Thanks to everyone for your input.

A few points/clarifications:
- We are not considering removing the page titles, just determining
whether it should be placed/weighted in such a manner that it is very
much obvious

- Our 'banners' are not ads, really. They are large graphics that
promote something within that section; the main topic of choice at
the moment, so clicking on it will not take the user out of the path.
Instead, it will hopefully get them to information they want (yes,
based on what that business owner wants them to want ;) )

- Someone emailed me asking for more detail about the 'genre of
page' in question. First off, it's less about the genre of a page
or set of pages, as it is about developing a cohesive architecture
across our site. Understandably, there is the possibility of having a
couple/few different structures based on the content of a page.
However, I tend to think that a page's title should be handled
similarly throughout a site. That said, the 'genre' of our pages is
software sales/support and security information. We are broken up by
type of consumer.

- Lastly, we don't run a 'banner' graphic on every single page, so
there are many cases - typically the 3rd level or further in - where a
more obvious page title wouldn't 'interfere' with anything else on
the page.

The more I've been thinking about it while reading all your replies,
the more I think I'm realizing that our current language is mixing a
'section heading' with a page title. Meaning, we are placing the
same level of emphasis and importance on language that identifies: A)
the section of the site (e.g., consumer segment, store, etc.); and B)
the title of the content page within that segment/store/etc.

So, I've got some more thinking to do... and your input is very
helpful!

Best,
Jennifer