I hear ya, Jennifer. I work with a coldfusion-based content management
system and I don't think the community is as big and those of PHP and
.Net. We have 1 developer on staff who for some reason or another,
does not know the CMS at all (go figure). Anyway, we are totally
locked into basically 4 template styles. Each of the template styles
have "elements" of the page that you can edit in either the wysiwyg
mode or the html mode. I basically resorted to exploiting the html
editing portion of the thing! The template is still the template, but
in the end I am able to add in niceities without throwing off the
design or architecture too much. I find that people are happy that I
was just able to do something different with the thing (however
small)