I am working in a similar situation where we have limited page
templates built in a CMS and limited developers to help create more
custom pages.

My biggest suggestion is to do some analysis of what your needs are,
in regards to modules and templates. Use what you find to come up
with 2 or 3 page templates that you believe will be flexible enough
to meet your needs. Currently the site I work on has about 6
different page templates that have been created over the last year.

So be strategic about when you request new templates and sometimes
you will just need to make what you currently have work.

I hope this helps some.