Hi all,

I'll be honest, though I've worked in web design and development for almost
13 years, I've never - until now - had to work with a CMS on a static site.
I've implemented an early version of eMPower (Ektron), but that was years
ago and it was pretty basic: no 'templates' or 'modules' to be concerned
about.

For the past year, I've worked at a company that uses a Perl-based CMS; the
majority of our site uses this CMS, and the site is static because it is
"decoupled". We have templates, and modules that those templates use, that
were crudely built (no planning, just a dump when the CMS was implemented).

All that to say that I'm having the darndest time figuring out how to design
/ structure new pages because of the limitations of the templates and
modules. I'm used to being able to create an interface that is custom to the
content and structural needs of the page/path (as needed) - not to mention
for a dynamic site - that I'm struggling for how to do my job well while
working under such constraints. Another huge element, at least for us, is
that we are extremely limited on resources. So, if it's a matter of "have
your developers work with you to build what you need," I'm sorry to say
that's not an option. We have 2 full time developers, and would need to hire
contractors (in Germany, where the CMS company is located). Yet, we are a
large global company. It's just weird. :)

Thus I'm curious: is this a common issue for UX designers? That is, are
there things I need to learn about working with a CMS, static or otherwise,
that will help me fulfill my role better?

Thanks,
Jennifer