On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:51, Henrik Sundberg wrote:
> 2005/10/29, Timothy Stockdale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Greetings,
> >   Thanks for your product. I was just wondering whether or not this is
> > completely legal. Even using it to open certain Microsoft files? (Word,
> > Powerpoint, Excel)
>
> I'm also uncertain. Is the reversed engineering ,used to construct the
> import export filters, completely legal?

The problem here is that the term "reverse engineering" describes a way of
working out a solution to a given problem - in this case the proprietary file
formats of a proprietary office suite.

But the ways and methods of "reverse engineering" happen to be the same as
used by scientists engaging in scientific enquiry, just applied to a human
artifact instead.

To outlaw "reverse engineering" completely is to revert to a pre-Olduvan
industry, and I doubt most people would like that.  "They were saying we
should be closed as the Fir, an expression of plant - and they why I'm glad
they up on them firs!"  Some wisdom on the matter, courtesy of emacs meta x
dissociated-press! ;)

Wesley Parish
> /Henrik

-----