John Thompson wrote:
> On 2009-02-18, Twayne <t...@twaynesdomain.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay, so:  What can I do to make it a workable situation for Writer
>> at V 3?  Any suggestions at all? I'm not stealing copyright
>> material; I just want to assemble some Support paperwork on disk for
>> future Dell TSing. Am I stuck with Word for the time being?
>
> Do you need them in word processor format at all? Will you be editing
> them at some point?
>
> If you don't need to edit the material, why not just save the pages as
> pdf files? There are many ways to do this -- Firefox has an add-on
> that provides this; perhaps IE does as well. Or you can print to a
> postscript file and covert the postscript to pdf using e.g.
> ghostscript (free software). Or use "htmldoc" (http://www.easysw.com)
> to directly convert web pages to pdf or other formats.

Hmm, that's some food for thought.  I do edit them fairly often to add a
TOC and sometimes a few index entries but that's a convenience more than
anything else.  There are times when I'll take two or three similar
articles/papers of a support nature and make one document out of them
and a TOC and/or Index can be pretty useful then, especially for
attributions.  But there are always more than one way to do things; I'll
have to give that some thought.

Thanks much!

Twayne