Here are a few assertions, all with no evidence

1. Java is an excellent language

2. Java is a product of a history of programming language design ideas
which now stretches back around 50 years

3. If an undergrad with no previous knowledge of programming can get the
idea of Java/OOP in a few months, they must make a fantastic cognitive
achievement. Many bright students do this - quite a few do not

4. Being an excellent language to use for the purpose of producing
software is not the same thing as being good as a first (teaching)
language.

5. Java is usually offered as a first language because it sounds good
and applicants equate enrolling on this program => becoming great at
Java => well-paid employment. The fear on the part of providers is that
no Java = reduced applications

6. References are bizarre vaque wooly mysteries unless you know what
pointers are. The idea of having no exposed pointers  is good, since it
means programmers cannot write this common type of bug. But that does
not mean that we should 'not tell the children' that pointers exist, and
expose them to doing a little pointer arithmetic so they have some
experience to hang their understanding on.

7. If students must do GUI programming or they will find programming
'boring' - well, they should drop out now. More sensibly, they should
not have been enrolled to start with.

8. " Java, instead of exposing this beauty, encourages the programmer to
approach problem-solving like a plumber in a hardware store: by
rummaging through a multitude of drawers (i.e. packages) we will end up
finding some gadget (i.e. class) that does roughly what we want. ".
Well, its not very sensible for busy plumbers to make their own pipes
and taps and washers and things from scratch every time. But a student
plumber needs to understand what these gadgets are, what they do, and
how they were made, and learn how to make them if the need arises. Eg
when I'm programming in C I'd use the qsort() library routine - but I
know how a quicksort works, and if I were writing in a different
language I could write it myself. Otherwise I don't know how to program.