On 15 Jan 2008, at 13:45, Walter Milner wrote:

5. Java is usually offered as a first language because it sounds good
and applicants equate enrolling on this program => becoming great at
Java => well-paid employment. The fear on the part of providers is that
no Java = reduced applications

I have heard this assertion several times now, in different contexts.

                Is this really true?

I find this hard to believe. Since Java was heavily used in education, I have worked at three institutions. In one, I was involved in the process of language choice, in two others I am familiar with the reasoning of the choice. In none of them was the argument you mention ("it sounds good" on the course description) a deciding, or even important, factor in the decision making process.

All the debate I am aware of was about pedagogical value, teachability, representations of concepts in the language, and practicality. Marketing did not significantly come into it.

Do significant numbers of universities really plan like that?

Michael