> > 5. Java is usually offered as a first language because it sounds good
> > and applicants equate enrolling on this program => becoming great at
> > Java => well-paid employment. The fear on the part of providers is
> > that
> > no Java = reduced applications
>
> I have heard this assertion several times now, in different contexts.
>
>               Is this really true?

I've just come out of a meeting reviewing the choice of teaching
languages for Cambridge, so can report directly on the criteria
that were raised by my colleagues.

First language taught here will continue to be ML, because it
allows clean expression of basic computational concepts.

Second language is intended to offer an alternative paradigm to
that of functional programming, for which the best choice is
believed to be object-oriented programming. (Students encounter
other paradigms, such as logic programming, in later years).

We believe that the feasible options for teaching OO programming
at undergraduate level are presently C++, Java and C#.

We have most pressure from employers to teach C++ not Java.
However, we think that C++ has disadvantages as a teaching
language. We have most pressure from language suppliers to teach
C# (well, from one language supplier). Despite both forms of
pressure, we think that Java provides the best teaching language
at present for basic object oriented concepts.

Furthermore, the tool sets and libraries are sufficient, that
students are later able to carry out substantial personal project
work in Java if they wish to. They are also able to choose other
languages if they wish. Many Cambridge students do project work
in ML, Matlab, C#, C++ and other languages, but the majority
choose Java.

Based on the discussion I listened to, the statement that
"applicants equate enrolling on this program => becoming great at
Java => well-paid employment" is not true here, as Michael
suspected.

Alan
--
Alan Blackwell           Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/afb21/       Phone: +44 (0) 1223 334418