Hi all!

When Alon took over the original W2L site, he used "position: fixed;" for its
nav bar. "position: fixed" is a CSS attribute that makes sure that an element
remains on a fixed position on the browser's window regardless of the
position of the scroll bar. It does not get scrolled with the rest of the
elements, and often is cut in the middle.

When I became the site's webmaster last year, I quickly eliminated the use of
"position: fixed" because I heavily dislike the fact that it doesn't get
scrolled, and then it gets cut in the middle with the surfer being able to do
nothing about it.

A few days ago, after the revamp of the site's look, Alon commited the
"position: fixed" code into the source in the repository. I quickly reverted
it, but Alon restored it again a few minutes later. I kept it there because I
didn't have the nerve to overload the Subversion repository this way with
this fight.

Now, the site contains the position: fixed. And as I wish to demonstrate it
has a few usability problems:

1. The nav bar is cut in the middle, even when the scrollbar is at the bottom
of the page.

2. The user cannot scroll the position fixed element, thus wondering what else
it may contain and is annoyed by that.

3. Look at the screenshots in:

http://eskimo.shlomifish.org/Files/files/images/Computer/Screenshots/w2l-position-fixed/

The image "position-fixed-shot-mozilla.png" there shows that the nav bar is
cut in the middle of the penguin icon, when Firefox is at its full height.

4. The image "position-fixed-shot-konqi-over-footer.png" shows that the nav
bar stretches to the bottom of the screen, and covers the footer, which
contains important text. It is demonstrated in Konqueror, but is also
exhibited in every other browser I've tried.

-------------------------

I think we should eliminate the "position: fixed" there entirely and switch to
a normal floaty, due to all the usability problems "position: fixed" has.

When I gave Alon write permissions to the repository with the W2L source code
and made him able to upload file to eskimo, I intended that he would able to
update the site's content on emergancy, etc. I did not intend him to
interfere with my choices regarding design, or to play cat and mouse with me
over the source code inside the version control repository.

So what do you say, regarding "position: fixed"?

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish