On Tuesday 06 December 2005 21:18, Alon Altman wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > 1. The nav bar is cut in the middle, even when the scrollbar is at the
> > bottom of the page.
>
>    No it is not, all NAVIGATIONAL information is visible even when browsing
> at 640x480, the lowest resolution people use to visit the site. If at all,
> the firefox icon does not appear, except in MSIE which does not implement
> position:fixed anyway.

You forgot the fact that some people don't stretch the height of their browser
to its full height, and then are forced to, when they see it does not scroll
with the rest of the page.

> > 2. The user cannot scroll the position fixed element, thus wondering what
> > else it may contain and is annoyed by that.
>
>    The user sees a navigation links on screen all the time, which is very
> important for usability, and might in the worst case miss the legs of tux.

The user should feel in control of his environment. Depriving him of the
ability to scroll the navigation bar deprives him of such control.

> > 3. Look at the screenshots in:
> >
> > http://eskimo.shlomifish.org/Files/files/images/Computer/Screenshots/w2l-
> >position-fixed/
> >
> > The image "position-fixed-shot-mozilla.png" there shows that the nav bar
> > is cut in the middle of the penguin icon, when Firefox is at its full
> > height.
>
>    "The middle" is almost near the bottom, and why should someone see a
> "Get Firefox" icon when browsing with firefox?

What matters is that it is cut in the middle and one cannot see it entirely.
Again, the user is not in control. It is much worse with larger fonts.

> > 4. The image "position-fixed-shot-konqi-over-footer.png" shows that the
> > nav bar stretches to the bottom of the screen, and covers the footer,
> > which contains important text. It is demonstrated in Konqueror, but is
> > also exhibited in every other browser I've tried.
>
> This bug exists becasuse someone put the footer outside the main div. If
> the source file was not filled with junk <define_tag> it could have been
> easily corrected.

It's <define-tag>'s and these are there for a reason. Despite what you've told
me Web-Meta-Language is not just a templating system, but rather a
full-fledged HTML preprocessor. <define-tag> defines a new userland
macro/tag, which is very useful for many things. If you don't understand what
a <define-tag is, learn WML, and then study the code - don't just think it's
useless or junk. It is there for a reason.

> I corrected it in the CSS.

OK. I still want the position: fixed removed.

> > I think we should eliminate the "position: fixed" there entirely and
> > switch to a normal floaty, due to all the usability problems "position:
> > fixed" has.
>
> I see a major usability problem with not using "position: fixed:.

And I don't.

> > When I gave Alon write permissions to the repository with the W2L source
> > code and made him able to upload file to eskimo, I intended that he would
> > able to update the site's content on emergancy, etc. I did not intend him
> > to interfere with my choices regarding design, or to play cat and mouse
> > with me over the source code inside the version control repository.
>
>    You may recall that the positions changed, and due to your lack of
> activity I was switched to the primary webmaster and YOU should only make
> changes in case of emergency.

This never happened. My temporary and limited lack of activity happened a long
time ago, and then I returned to editing the site at full speed. At no time,
was I informed that Alon became the primary webmaster. In fact, since then
and before, most of the changes to the site have been mine, and one can see
it from the svn log:

$ svn log http://opensvn.csie.org/linuxisrael/w2l-2004/site/trunk

I'd hate to start another flame war here, but it seems Alon is acting in a
possesive (if not worse) manner. Alon, will you please think before saying
something that ends up hurting others and yourself?

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish